Sunday, November 21, 2010

Reflections: Scene Assignment

In many ways, this scene assignment was what I expected it to be and at the same time nothing like what I expected. I think I learned a great deal about how I work as a director and a DP, but I think the emphasis of my learning was definitely on the whole process of making the finished product, which in this case was one scene. I was reminded of the importance of pre-production and organization as a director. My scene went much smoother because of the planning that happened before filming began. Pre-production should never be underestimated.

For me, the most difficult part of directing a scene is letting go of technical control. I found it very hard for me to stay away from the camera and completely trust my DP to achieve the vision that I had. As a DP, I think the hardest thing to master is the application of my director's vision. I think it's really hard to hear the ideas from the director and take those and make it happen. That is definitely something that I want to continue to work on.

I think that for the most part, my scene and my DP's scene turned out okay. There are mistakes I made as a director and a DP that I wish I could change now once I saw the footage in post-production however. These mistakes are simple and careless though, so I know that they can be improved upon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment